Friday, September 7, 2012

Analysis of Social Networking: A Purposeful Loss of Privacy

For my term paper I will be doing an analysis on how social networking has made privacy a thing of the past. In my paper I will discuss how privacy has been eliminated by new technologies such as facebook, myspace, instagram, and twitter. Social networking sites are not the only culprits that have invaded people's privacy. The internet as a whole is generally the technology to blame. Sites such as whitepages.com allow people to search for other individuals in order to obtain personal information about them including, name, address, phone numbers, and names of relatives. This is frightening to a lot of people who desire privacy. Information on the internet is being used in ways that were not intended by creators of these new technologies. For example, businesses are using facebook during the hiring process to find out personal information about new employees. Also, craigslist.org has been used by criminals to deceive people and commit crimes. In my paper I will explain in depth how these new technologies have had positive and negative affects on the privacy of individuals in our society.

1 comment:

  1. Michael, I think your proposal addresses a very important ethical issue. Despite all the new forms of communication the internet has made possible our privacy has taken a blow. How much information is too much and what steps can we take to protect ourselves in such a "public" world? Well, I don't think there is a clear cut answer to that but I' sure you'll come across many different perspectives regarding this during your research.

    ReplyDelete